Kentucky Tourism
communities festivals and events history outdoors economy Welcome to Webster County Kentucky
Historical Sites Driving Tours Festivals & Events
Sports & Outdoors
Dixon         Sebree        Providence       Clay        Slaughters        Wheatcroft       Blackford       Poole       Onton


Webster County was originally formed from Henderson County, Hopkins County and Union County in 1860. It is located in the Western Coal Field region of the state and bounded by Union, Henderson, Hopkins, McLean and Crittenden counties.

The county consists of an area of 336 square miles. The western border is Tradewater River and the Green River serves as its eastern border.

Estimated population in 2004 was 14130.

The county is characterized by rolling hills and fertile creek bottoms. Since the end of the Civil War, the county's prosperity has been tied to its fertile soil and mineral resources. Ninety percent of the county's farm income is derived from corn and soybeans. Wheat, fruit, beef, hogs and dark and burley tobacco provide supplementary income. Almost thirty percent of the county's acreage is commercial forest land.


Dixon, the county seat of Webster county, is located at the junction of US 41A and KY 132. It was established in 1860 when the county was formed and named for Archibald Dixon, lieutenant governor and U.S. senator. Dixon's Court House post office opened in 1860. It was Incorporated in 1861.


Clay is located 6-1/2 miles WSW of Dixon. Established on July 6, 1837, the Clay post office, with Thomas Powell, postmaster, was first called Ashland. After an intermittent existence it was renamed Clay in 1854. The town incorporated as Clay in 1872.


In 1868, a town was founded by William Scott and Colonel E. G. Sebree of Trenton, Kentucky. The L & N Railroad was begun in 1850 but was not completed until after the Civil War. The railroad divided the town nearly in half.


Slaughters lies just west of US 41 and 9 1/2 miles east of Dixon. According to local tradition, it was named for Gustavus G. Slaughter, local storekeeper, who in 1855 won the right to name the new town and post office in a card game with his rival, blacksmith Frederick W. Stiman.


It is located in the southwestern part of the county, east of the Tradewater River. The town was founded by Richard B. Savage, who arrived in the vicinity from Virginia in 1820 with his eldest sister, Mary (Savage) Settler.


Incorporated in 1902, it's a coal town with a post office. It was probably named for Irving Horace Wheatcroft, who in 1899 laid out and founded the town. He opened one or more coal mines and built the Kentucky Western Railway from Blackford to Dixon.


The community was first called Orton for an early family, but another Orton in Kentucky compelled the adoption of the Onton for the post office established on September 28, 1882, with Franklin P. Tilford, postmaster.


The town was first called Poole's Mill, as was the post office established on January 29, 1855, with John's son William W. as postmaster. The town was later called Pooleville; it and the post office were renamed Poole in 1894.


It was first called Blacksford for a river crossing on the farm owned by Rich Black. In 1887 a station on the just-completed Ohio Valley (later Illinois Central Gulf) Railroad was established here as Blackford, as the post office opened on August 29, 1887, with James M. Clement, postmaster.


Dixon    |    Sebree    |    Providence    |    Clay   |    Slaughters   |    Wheatcroft   |    Blackford   |    Poole   |    Onton

Home    |    Communities    |    Festivals & Events    |    History    |    Sports & Outdoors    |    Economic Development

   © 2012 Webster County Fiscal Court, Dixon, Kentucky 42409      270-639-5042